> Ah yes, but why, after a pile of telecommunications companies
> went bankrupt laying thousands of miles of buried
> fibre-optics cables are we still talking about dial-up
> connections? What *does* it cost to deliver high speed? For
> that matter, I think copper/fibre is passé. It should be
> possible to use wireless and it ought to be dirt cheap. When
> Mediaone delivered cable-modem service in our area they
> thought they'd be doing well if they got a 3% penetration.
> One of their techs told me that in fact they were achieving
> 17% and higher depending on the town they were operating in.
> I know there has been a big improvement in the speed of
> connections over the last few years but we're not exactly
> using 110 baud modems anymore are we? Should I expect to pay
> $100k for a shiny 2.8 gig P4 computer? Ah the good old days, not!

I agree, they are totally screwing everybody.. AT&T does one thing right
with the telephone over cable.. They give you ALL the features (3 way
calling/caller ID/call forwarding/etc) with the cost of the service..
Why? Because it's IN the switch.. It costs them NOTHING extra to enable
those features.. So why does Verizon make you pay for it? It's like when
they charge (and still do in some areas) for touch tone dialing.. It's
crazy.. The lines are there, they should use them. Sure, there's the
extra cost of the equipment on each end (routers, switches, fibre
gizmos) but the real expense is running all the fiber and that's all
done.