On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 12:55:14PM -0400, Tom Fogal wrote:
> maybe someone could explain this to me, i've never really understood it and
> its apparently a huge selling point.
>
> why does one need support for a[/any] linux distribution?
>
> if one doesn't know how to do something, theres documentation all over the
> internet on how to do things. new software releases are indicated on the
> web pages of the applications used. to keep on track of security flaws,
> there exists mailing lists such as bugtraq (if you use too much software to
> check their websites every day, as i suspect most do).
>
> the ongoing maintenance of a linux system is 'fixing'/upgrading old software,
> or installing additional or replacement software that has more use or perhaps
> better security.
>
> so what are they selling? "one hour phone support"? or maybe four hour if you
> dont pay as much? short of hardware failure, i can't remember having any
> problems w/ linux/freebsd systems that take more than an hour to figure out
> (well, this part is usually done for already, via security notices/etc) and
> fix. initial setup, perhaps, if its a large system and one has little setup
> experience with it... but is that such a huge deal?
>
> it would be greatly appreicated if anyone could clarify why this is a big deal.

The idea that doing the types of things you describe above are not a big
deal indicates that you are very comfortable with messing about
configuring/installing/customizing computer software.

Unlike many of the people on this email list, MOST of the people in
the world do not feel this way.  Much the opposite in fact.

In business people's time costs money. Any time they can't work because
the computer is "broken" (or rooted :-) ) or any time they spend not
doing their job because they are learning how to manage/administrate
their PC the business is losing money.

Buying support, even for an Open Source product, is a purchase of an
assurance that your people will have working tools(systems) and will
not have to spend huge gobs of time away from doing their job and
earning revenue for the company.

For schools and home based systems the issues are slightly different
but it all comes down to be certain that your system(s) will work
without hassling or losing time.

--
Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
copyright 2003.  Use is restricted. Any use is an