Bill,

> is first of all take Debian, why is there a Fedora project when there's
> Debian, a ten-year-old project with all its policies done...with over a
> thousand developers?

A rhetorical question if I have ever heard one.

Debian following, participating in, and supporting the LSB is a great idea,
and should be the minimum for a distribution of any type.

On the other hand, LSB solves only one side of the issue, and that is
of the ISV (Independent Software Vendor) side.  The other side is the side
of the hardware vendor, and whether or not the distribution supports all
manor of hardware, or even the hardware of a single vendor.  This is the
effort that the United Linux group tried to address.

I would find it even more interesting if either:

        o Debian joined United Linux, and created the core of the United
          Linux project (almost impossible due to the politics of that
          organization)

OR

        o Debian code formed the core of the LSB "sample binary distribution",
          then use that "sample binary distribution" to deliver the rest of
          the Debian distribution.

but I doubt that this will ever happen.  Maybe it will, I have been pleasantly
surprised before.  Once.

md
--
Jon "maddog" Hall
Executive Director           Linux(R) International

Board Member: Uniforum Association, USENIX Association

(R)Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in several countries.
UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the US and other countries.