On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 01:10:44 -0500
Zhao Peng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Right now I'm having Red Hat Enterprise AS installed on my desktop
> computer (which has only one hard drive). I'm wondering if I can also
> put Fedora on it so that I can dual boot from either Red Hat Enterprise
> AS or Fedora.
>
> I know that dual-boot system (Windows and Linux) is quite common, but
> not sure about dual-boot of 2 linux systems. Would 2 hard drives make it
> doable? Or 1 hard drive is enough (as long as I have at least 2
> partitions on it)
Yes, you can have any number of operating systems to boot. I routinely
have a system at work with RHEL 3 and RHEL 4 as dual boots.

One issue that could cause some problems is your home directory. I've
run into this issue when dual booting 2 different versions of the same
os where the GUI saves its configuration in your home directory.

On the system at work that I dual boot, we share our home directory
between the 2 RHELs.

Just make sure that the /boot and /boot/grub data is set up properly.
At work, this is handled through Intel's EFI, but at home, I never
create a separate /boot. While (or after) installing and OS, I then
either edit the /boot/grub/grub.conf (menu.lst) to point to the other
OS, or I use SuSE's YaST.
--
Jerry Feldman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Boston Linux and Unix user group