On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 08:16:47PM -0500, Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 07:56:46PM -0500, Thomas Charron wrote:
> >   A programmer that doesn't know how to grep and split text strings..
> >
> >   Well..  Isn't..
>
> I know of several ways to do it, but none of them would have worked as
> well as the cut solution presented here. I've been working on Linux as
> my primary platform for 2.5 years, I've been coding in various languages
> for 5.
>
> I'm relatively intelligent, know how to use awk, grep, and sed.
>
> Considering the huge number of programmers who are doomed to forever
> live and work in a GUI-only MSVC++ (or whatever it's called) without the
> tools such as sed, grep and awk, I'd say I'm in the top 50% as far as
> knowledge goes for programmers -- and I think I'm probably being
> relatively modest.
>
> The lack of knowledge of a simple command line tool to do what you want
> it to does not indicate whether someone is a programmer or not. It
> simply indicates one thing -- their level of experience with core *nix
> tools. Lack of that is not an indication of deficiencies in their
> ability to program.

Easily fixed, All we need is the appropriate man page:..

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=19990216    ;-)

I have that one on the cover of my "Intro to Linux" slides

speech recognition software may have been used to create this e-mail

"The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men
of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding." - Brandeis

To think contrary to one's era is heroism. But to speak against it is
madness. -- Eugene Ionesco