I'm beginning to see the same thing... For example, I looked at the Xubuntu kit, and it requires 128MB for a Hard Drive install.

Peg

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stephen Ryan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <gnhlug-discuss@mail.gnhlug.org>
Sent: Monday, June 05, 2006 9:33 PM
Subject: Re: Linux on old laptop - still trying...

On Mon, 2006-06-05 at 21:06 -0400, Tech Writer wrote:

At this point, I just hear a lot of disk spinning for MANY  MANY
minutes... then the screen clears, and still more disk spinning... but
nothing appears to be happening...  eventually, it all just stops.

I just installed Ubuntu (on a much larger system) and I saw something
that suggested a minimum of 192Mb to install.  I doubt you really want
Ubuntu on a system with that little RAM; it might work if you install
the "server" variant, which installs a relatively minimal system, but I
suspect that DSL or one of the other small Linux systems would be a
whole lot better.

HTH,

--
Stephen Ryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>