On Friday 23 June 2006 8:59 am, Ted Roche wrote:
> There's a reason why WANG and DEC and Basic/4 and DG had a major
> presence here, and that hasn't changed with the rise and fall of
> Silicon Valley.
Wang, DEC, DG, ComputerVision, Prime and a few others were headquartered in
Ma. with DEC being Massachusetts largest employer for a short time.
The industry changed. The technology shift was toward microprocessors. Wang
missed the boat because they failed to realize that shrink-wrap software
was the future, and at one time, Wang owned the word processing market. DEC
failed to capitalize on its own successes and ended up merging with Compaq
then HP. For the most part, all of the systems I mentioned above made
mid-range or specialized systems. Many of these were obsoleted by either
PCs or microprocessor-based stuff. DEC was never able to push the Alpha
into the mainstream market, although they owned the HPTC market.
--
Jerry Feldman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Boston Linux and Unix user group