On Monday, Jul 10th 2006 at 09:29 -0400, quoth Bob Bell:

=>On Sun, Jul 09, 2006 at 01:37:40PM -0400, Steven W. Orr wrote:
=>> I found an old copy of binutils that comes with gasp. It still doesn't
=>> answer why gasp is gone.
=>>
=>> As for m4, m4 could be used to write gasp but to start out with m4 would be
=>> a huge pain just as it would be to write something in assembler if you have
=>> a C compiler. ;-)
=>
=>I've been quietly reading along, but finally decided to try and found
=>out what the "official" recommended replacement for GASP is.  Thus quoth
=>the GAS docs:
=>
=>"The as internal preprocessor ... does not do macro processing, include
=>file handling, or anything else you may get from your C compiler's
=>preprocessor. You can do include file processing with the .include
=>directive ... You can use the gnu C compiler driver to get other .CPP.
=>style preprocessing by giving the input file a `.S' suffix."
=>   -- http://sourceware.org/binutils/docs-2.17/as/Preprocessing.html
=>
=>I would seem that the expectation when dropping GASP is that people
=>would use CPP now.  At least, that's my best attempt at interpreting the
=>situation.

Yeah, I read that too. But the C preprocessor is not a replacement. From
my pov, cpp is not even good enough for C. It only provides include,
define, and if with no caps for looping.

I filed a bug against gas only for the purpose of finding someone to
respond.