On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 09:17 -0400, Bill Freeman wrote:
> > ... I've not really been
> > interested in Linksys gear because I've had terrible experience with the
> > hardware just crapping out, and I've had good experience with Netgear, so I
> > was glad to see this.
>
> On the other hand, I've had the only Netgear that I owned crap out too.  To be
> fair, it provided years of service first.

Bill beat me to the punch on this. I've had plenty of bad
hardware/firmware from both Netgear and LinkSys. D-Link will also find
detractors for pretty much the same reasons. The issue for me with these
brands is the relatively poor support. But then as Bill pointed out, the
margin pressure on these products precludes the kind of support you will
see from Cisco, Juniper or other high margin vendors. I still use both
Netgear and LinkSys when reliability is not a primary concern. You can
buy a lot of $50 appliances for the cost of one Cisco et al router.

-Alex