On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 19:36 -0400, Alex Hewitt wrote:
> I have clients with an interesting network problem. One location in
> Bedford New Hampshire using a fractionated T1 has routinely been
> transmitting studies to an office in Nashua New Hampshire. There have
> been no problems with this for at least 18 months. However recently
> (about a week ago), the transmissions suddenly became slow, really slow.
> A transmission that was taking around 10 minutes suddenly jumped to 2-3
> hours. The customer in Bedford New Hampshire is using One
> Communications. So far I haven't asked them to look at this problem
> because I've been trying to clarify it. The office in Nashua has
> Comcast business class service with a static IP address.
>
> Here's where it gets interesting. I had the Bedford client transmit the
> data to my system in Manchester New Hampshire. I have Comcast
> residential service. The data usually takes about 8 minutes to arrive at
> my location. I then send the data to the Nashua office and it typically
> takes 25-30 minutes. The payload is a collection of images that are
> typically between 65 and 70 MB.
>
> Today Comcast at the request of the customer sent someone on site to the
> Nashua site. The tech did some speed tests using the DSLReports
> Speakeasy test suite. He was getting  20 mbs down, 3+ mbs up which is
> pretty decent. For the fun of it I had him download a 47 MB antivirus
> program. His first try was ridiculous telling him it was going to take 4
> + hours. I had him break the connection and try again and this time the
> download took around a minute.
>
> And it gets more interesting...another client in Salem New Hampshire
> needed to send their data to the Nashua site (they use Verizon DSL). It
> arrived in about 8 minutes.
>
> So my Comcast connection which is fairly decent is taking a half hour to
> send 65-70 MB to the Nashua site. The Salem site is taking 8 minutes for
> something approximately the same size and the Bedford site is taking
> several hours.
>
> Traceroute doesn't show much interesting - it craps out after the first
> 5 hops. Pinging (standard payload) from my office to the Nashua site is
> averaging less than 20 ms. One odd thing is that when I'm in the process
> of sending data to the Nashua site my pings jump up to 650 - 800 ms.
>
> The Comcast tech was happy to conclude that the Nashua site was working
> properly. They checked transmission levels, noise and of course the guy
> downloaded some files and ran the Speakeasy speed tests and all of that
> looked good.
>
> Any ideas how to proceed on a problem like this? Currently I'm having
> the customer transmit their data to me and then I re-transmit because my
> connection although slow is probably 4 or 5 times faster than theirs.
>
> -Alex

A few more bits of information - I replaced the router in the Nashua
office (Netgear FVS 114) with a new identically configured model. The
download performance and speed tests were run with the Netgear router in
place (all good). I disconnected the router from the cable modem and
hooked the Mac that runs the client application directly to the cable
modem. Again all download tests look normal. I replaced the original Mac
with a newer model. The old system was a Mac Mini with 1 GB of Ram and a
G4 CPU. The replacement model was a dual core Intel based Mini with 2 GB
of Ram. The new system is definitely snappier but doesn't affect the
problem at all.

-Alex