Shawn O'Shea wrote:
On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 5:37 PM, Alex Hewitt <hewitt_t...@comcast.net <mailto:hewitt_t...@comcast.net>> wrote:

    I'm trying to connect a new Mac Mini to a Barco monitor. The Barco
    monitor expects a dual link video source (2048 x 1536 /1536 x
    2048) but
    the Mini is outputing single link DVI-D.  The Mac  sees the monitor as
    having a resolution of 1280x1024. Apple makes a dual link DVI adapter
    but I don't know if this will allow the Barco to work properly. Anyone
    have any experience with this kind of setup?

Single-link DVI has less pins/wires and maxes out at 1920x1200 resolution. For higher resolutions, you need the extra wires and can go to 2560x1600. You need to also make sure that the DVI cable you are using is dual link as well.
Pictures of connector types:
http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_Connector_Digital_Visual_Interface_DVI_Bus.html
Discussion of single vs dual with resolution information:
"WHAT ARE SINGLE AND DUAL LINKS ?" section of http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

-Shawn
    The Mac Pro does have a dual link video but I'm not sure if that
    system
    would also have the same problem. The Barco site only describes MS
    Windows systems and provides drivers for the same.

    -Alex

    P.S. BTW, we did connect a Totoku 3MP display (2048x1536) which uses a
    DVI-D connection and that display worked at full resolution.

Thanks Shawn. Good pointers. There is something a bit odd about this though. The Totoku monitor is running at it's native resolution (2048x1536). The Mac gives me the full resolution as a choice in the display preferences. I'll look closely at the connector (miniPort to DVI-D) and see if it's actually dual link. The DVI-I dual link is definitely not working.

-Alex