Mark Ordung wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 4:34 PM, Tom Buskey <t...@buskey.name> wrote:
>

>> I have a Mac Mini (mid 2009) model.  From what I'm reading, that's what you
>> have and not an earlier model.  (refer to http://lowendmac.com)
>>
>> This model has 2 video ports: 1 mini displayport and 1 mini DVI.  There is
>> no analog signal in them.  A mini DVI to DVI will be DVD-D output, not DVI-I
>> or DVI-A.
>>
>> The svideo/composite adapter that apple sells will not work on this model
>> because there is no analog component.
>>

>> I don't know if thiis helps your actual situation.  I had to buy a USB
>> powered VGA to svideo/composite converter (not just an adapter) to hook up
>> an old TV.  This generated an analog signal from a digital input.
>>

> I bought a Mac mini last month as soon as they began shipping with
> Snow Leopard and I'm using it with a $30 Apple brand "Mini DisplayPort
> to VGA Adapter" that I picked up at Best Buy. So I don't see where a
> converter is necessary?
>
> I'm kind of an Apple fan boy but when it comes to their video options
> it sure doesn't always 'just work', as I think this thread shows.
>
> Mark

I too have had good results using the miniDisplayPort to VGA adapter.
With most VGA monitors this setup "just works". In fairness to Apple the
application space I'm trying to get working uses esoteric hardware. Not
many users will be using $25k monitors and you wouldn't really expect a
Mac Mini to work with these very high resolution monitors. Still, I've
got at least  one  3MP monitor working at its rated  resolution and I'm
hopeful with a bit of work  to get  a couple of others working. My
client wouldn't have a problem purchasing a Mac Pro if that proves to be
necessary and with some assistance from the Apple folks I believe we can
make that setup work. In this application (Radiology) the computer
systems are only a small fraction of the cost of the setup.

-Alex