On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 12:15 PM, Tom Buskey <t...@buskey.name> wrote:
>>  But ultimately, I hate ink jets for anything other than photo
>> printing.  It doesn't help that most ink jet printers on the market
>> are incredibly cheap crap.
>
> If you don't need/want/lustafter color, get a laser printer.

  +MAXINT.  Even if you do want color, get a laser printer.  Modern
inkjets are crap.  The only advantage they have is high-resolution
images.  Laser printers seem to be limited to 600 DPI.  Even cheap
inkjets can go up to at least a few thousand DPI.

  (Anyone know why laser printers seem to only run at 600 DPI?  Every
one I've checked (and I've l looked at dozens of models) specifies 600
DPI as the native resolution.  I'm guessing it's something inherent in
the technology, but don't actually have any data.  (You may see units
that advertise higher DPIs, but if you check the specs you'll find
that's always "enhanced" or "synthesized" or "interpolated" or some
other way of saying "not 600 DPI".))

> I've been using a Brother HL1460n for 8 years now.

  A side client of mine has been using a Brother MFC-7440N
printer/scanner/copier/fax for about two years now.  It's been
trouble-free.  Pretty light usage, though.  Overall it seems pretty
good for what it's trying to be.  Even does network scanning.  The UIs
are a bit clunky, but work.  Haven't tried it with Linux, although I
remember seeing a Linux driver.

-- Ben