On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 11:30:19 -0500, Jerry Feldman <g...@blu.org> wrote:
> As I alluded to above, IMHO, certifications tend to be living in the
> past. Things change so fast in our industry that by the time a
> certification qual is developed and made available, and people take it,
> things are already old and out of date.

While this is true, this is not why I find certs to be useless. I think
they are useless because they've only tested you on (a subset of) how
things are *supposed to* work. But if things worked how they are
supposed to, we wouldn't need half these sysadmins.

What you really need is a lot of experience getting your hands dirty and
yelling at the computer. Troubleshooting skills and a good feeling for
how the entire situation should "look" and a feeling for what areas to
start investigating when they "look" wrong.

Like how an experienced programmer can usually tell a bug is a memory
leak (and in what subsystem, based on the overall logic design) or race
condition or whatever without even looking at the code.