On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 10:58:31 -0400, Ben Scott <dragonh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 9:36 AM, Ken D'Ambrosio <k...@jots.org> wrote:
> >> I think people just don't like talking to TVs.
> >
> > Y'know... I kind of agree, and kind of disagree.  I can't quite figure
> > out why the difference.  But, while I think talking to a desk phone with
> > a video feed would be kinda weird, I find myself chatting with my wife ...
>
>   I think there's a pretty big difference between interacting with the
> people you presumably love the most in the world, and interacting with
> some jerk at work you probabbly don't want to be talking to at all,
> let alone looking at.

There's that too.

But I also think it's kind of an uncanny valley thing. You can see them,
but it isn't a regular in-person conversation where you can see all
their body language, get good depth info, see the same environment they
are seeing, etc.

A phone conversation is so abstract as to be a separate thing anyway,
like a cartoon character.