It's an option that could be explicitly disabled or enabled via xorg.conf; it
or another similar sort of option could be enabled by default and in effect
even if you don't actually have a config file (most people don't have an actual
xorg.conf at this point at this point--everything just gets autoprobed/auto
configured every time, and that *normally* works but sometimes doesn't work
right...). I *think* you can find the evidence in the *logfiles*....