+1 on Social networking (& LinkedIn to a lesser part)

Where I am now is a small group (10-15).  We all have 10+ years of
experience (20+) and the youngest is 41(!).  We want people we can work
with when we hire so internal recommendations go to the top of the list.

We were bought in Jan and HR changed.  Formally, we used recruiters.  The
new company wants to do it internally on the web sites from outside
Boston.  We didn't get many candidates with the recruiters (how many 15+ yr
Java devs with Cloud experience are there?) and probably will have fewer
with the new HR.

Put a keyword search at the end of the resume for Monster, LinkedIn and
internal scanning services.  I remember someone missing a cut because he
had Unix but not Solaris, Linux, etc.  He had a friend bring him in that
got past HR & the scanner.

A followup email/call/letter goes a long ways.  Most interviewees do not do
them so it makes you stand out.  Managers will remember you if another
position opens up.

If there is a company you're interested in, go to their web site.  It
doesn't cost them $ like Monster, etc.  If they're frugal, they may wait
for internal resources before paying to advertise the position.

My last job search took a month.  A friend with similar sysadmin experience
(18-20 yrs) also took a month.  If you have experience, things are out
there.