I typically use rsync instead of cp when I can.  There can be issues (and
there's too much below I know):

lots of small files can slow things down because of the comparision
(checksum, dates, names).  zfs send/receive uses a different method for
remote replication that avoids this.

If you're on cygwin, there are restrictions (I can't recall specifics)
compared to Unixen.

Different file systems may act different.

ACLs are not copied.  Other permissions might not work too (NTFS to FAT and
it'll recopy instead of skip)

MacOSX HFS files have 2 forks, resource (with icons, etc) and data.  On
older versions (panther?), cp would copy both forks.  Rsync would only deal
with the data fork.  NTFS has forks IIRC but I think cygwin can deal.  It's
no fun having the user complain all the icons on the MacOS9 desktop are
wrong because the move/restore used rsync.