On Oct 20, 2006, at 9:11 AM, Ben Scott wrote:

 Ted, you have my (and likewise, doubtless many others') thanks for
persistently hacking away at this until it got done.  (Re-done.
Whatever.)

I've been called stubborn before. Glad to be of service. But maddog, Rob, Ashlyn and Jason deserve the credit for this phase. I stuck a stamp on an envelope.

 Of course, we now have a new problem.  Much like the dog chasing the
car.  What does the dog do if he actually catches the car?  Now what
do *we* do?  :-)

Well, the "directors" who signed the document have the job of reviewing the bylaws (the ones we "registered" with two weeks ago) and appointing the first new Board of Directors. We'll have to get a copy of the original registration and bylaws from the Secretary of State's office, and file our new by-laws with them. Then, the newly- appointed Board (looking suspiciously like the original board) will have three years to get ourselves a little more organized regarding issues like voting membership, determine if GNHLUG should seek federal non-profit status, and, finally, get on with the business of advancing the organization.

 I do have a more practical question: What's the difference between
the "Officers" and the "Board of Directors"?

One goes on the left side of the form, and one goes on the right <g>.

The Officers (Chair, Secretary and Treasurer) are members of the board of directors, and selected by the Board with specific day-to- day duties and responsibilities. Electing our officers is another task we will need to take on at the next board meeting.

Which ought to happen real soon now. With the holidays bearing down on us, finding some time free for a meeting becomes problemmatic. Perhaps rather than an all-day retreat-style meeting, we ought to plan one around a UG meeting, before or after. With a well-planned agenda and most of the discussion worked on on the -org list in advance, we might be able to plow through a few issues quickly.

Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC
http://www.tedroche.com