How often should we announce the topic of an upcoming meeting on the
-Announce list?

 I'm unsure as to how often is "too much", myself.  I suspect there
can be no right answer to this one.  Some people will want more, some
people will want less.

 The one thing I'm pretty sure about is making the information
available as early as possible.  The sooner the information is out
there, the sooner other good things can start happening.  However,
"making it available" does not have to mean "posting to
gnhlug-announce".  gnhlug-announce is but one of several avenues open
to us.  (So the question is even more complicated.  Great.)

 Thing to consider:

 A lot of this comes down to how we want to go about things.  If we
just want to keep the "insiders" informed, a less noisy approach is
fine.  But if our goal is to increase attendance and momentum, a more
"marketing" style approach is appropriate.

 Posting to gnhlug-discuss is a "push action" -- it proactively
notifies people.  Having something on our web page requires a "pull
action" -- people have to take the time to go look.  People are more
likely to respond to push actions.

 Repetition also tends to increase response.  For example, I've been
sending the same damn "Here's the updated phone directory" message out
at work for a couple years, and just last month someone commented on
how they found the "How to use the Outlook Address Book" tip very
handy.

 Again, the hard part is striking the right balance.

 I would recommend against assuming everyone uses every resource.
There may be people who just check the website but don't subscribe to
gnhlug-discuss, there may be people who rely on gnhlug-discuss for
everything and think the web is a waste.  I know for a fact there are
people who use neither and just come to meetings.

 So I've got lots of points to ponder, but I'm short on solid answers.

The reality is that most coordinators have a hard enough time getting
the meetings to work and next month's topic if often still in flux.

 Yah.  Life is hard.  :-(

-- Ben