On Apr 11, 2007, at 14:44, Ted Roche wrote:

I don't want to lose a single person off the
-announce list because we're being too noisy.

I'm willing to make that trade-off at certain levels, say we lose 1 person but attendance doubles. When I do get unsubscribes it's almost always right after an announcement. Of course, that's possibly a reminder to unsubscribe. I try to pay attention to the ratio of subscribes and unsubscribes and to the degree that it's > 1.

Anything short of a custom schedule for each subscriber is going to annoy *somebody*. Maybe that's an argument for using a different technology, I'm not sure. Nobody is forced to subscribe to - announce, of course, if they prefer to check the Wiki or get an iCal feed from Google.

The schedule I use for DLSLUG is tuned to our local newspaper, feedback from members, trying to minimize annoyance, and mental notes about 'what worked'. I expect other groups will have different requirements and wouldn't expect or feel a need for homogeneity across them.

-Bill

-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           Cell: 603.252.2606
New Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/