On Mon, 7 Feb 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Thanks, but ps isn't available at that point, even if it might be installed.
> We don't know where to find it. And the processes most likely are
> not running, but waiting on something. If we only knew what that
> something was. I never saw this happen before, but several others
> are seeing it.

[disclaimer: I missed the beginning of this thread somehow, so if this
post makes no sense, that's why! :)]

If you have it on your system, I think you can use openvt to start a copy
of say, bash, on a virtual console.  I'm not sure if this will actually
work, since I haven't tried it and I don't have it installed, but if you
can boot from a floppy to get into your system, or boot to single user
mode, you can try adding a line like this to /etc/inittab:

zz:respawn:/usr/bin/openvt -l bash

Add this BEFORE all the rc lines about half way down, and I think it will
start bash on the first available tty at boot time (which should be
/dev/tty1, the first virtual console). Can anyone verify this?

--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"    "Who watches the watchmen?"
-Juvenal, Satires, VI, 347

Derek D. Martin      |  Senior UNIX Systems/Network Administrator
Arris Interactive    |  A Nortel Company
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]