At 04:54 PM 2/9/2000 , you wrote:

i use 2kpro for my web devel.  i'll put my opinion on the table.

win2k is very very stable...linux still is better but i have had my 2kbox
running for 4 days now without a reboot.
my zip drive and cdrom and CD-r were all auto detected fine and i haven't
had any problems.  Game will not work
in 2k unless they ran on NT4.  this is a big pain. for quakers like
me.  during the install i didn't get any errors what
so ever.  with any new OS OEM are always slow to provide for their
products.  MS usually gives all the OEM's the
final before they release it to the public to develop for it.  I don't
believe that they did it this time.  go figure.  other than
that i totally agree with Rob.  unless your a hard core NT "hacker"  then
you'll have problems win2k.  wait till win milinnium
comes out.

~kurth

>Beware Windows 2000 pro retail
>
>1st,is built on NT technology, (should be called SF technology for
>Still Flaky)i have a copy of the
>Full Retail and ive installed and tested it .... my vote still goes
>with Linux(any distrib.)
>hardware venders and manufacturers are slow to provide drivers for
>older/newer hardware so
>just a note to the group for anyone looking to BUY Windows 2000 , not
>a good choice in my opinion
>ive found too many trouble spots in Win2K. Example: Cnet pro 110
>Ethernet works fine in NT or 98
>but not in Windows 2000, incompatible device drivers.
>
>2nd, there is no restoring back to 98,if you dont like Windows 2000,
>your stuck.
>
>3rd, ive found 3 different incompatible devices just in the past few
>days,my brother
>made the mistake of upgrading,lost his CDROM and internal Zip drive.
>
>4th, some Various 3d Graphics games Refuse to load under
>Win2000(worked great under 98)
>
>5th, Windows 2000 is not a good choice for the new user since
>Microsoft assumes that if you
>are smart enough to buy Win2k then you probably know enough to install
>it without errors, WRONG !
>

>anyway this is just my Opinion\Vote for the Linux Community, Here,
>Here Linux .....
>
>This Microsoft Product(IMO)Will Ensure the Promise and growth of Linux
>in the coming years
>
>Rob F.

EOF

Kurth Bemis - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.usaexpress.net/kurth
ICQ UIN - 6624050
Callsign - N1TYW

Fight Weak Encryption!  Donate Your Wasted CPU Cycles To distributed.net.