Tom Rauschenbach wrote:

> Did anybody actually get this thing ?  I got 14 warnings about it, the NPR news
> is full of it.  I don't have it and I want to see it!

As it happens, yes.  I received three copies of it.  I don't run Outlook, of course.

BUT...

At work (my client's site, which is a model of a large corporate Outlook installation)
I received a copy from a colleague who works on the floor above.  My finger was
actually
on the way to the mouse button when I caught myself.  If the subject had been "Revised
test plan" (or even "I love you", just without shouting) I can't be sure that I
wouldn't
have opened the damned attachment a trashed my client's workstation.  And I'm NOT a
suit.
I DO know better...

All this talk about "dummies who ran it"...   very sad.

Imagine an auto manufacturer building each car with a red button, and a placard on the
red
button "Don't push this - one time in 10,000 it will cause your car to explode".  Yes,
we'd laugh at the first few "dummies" who blew themselves up, but the manufacturer
would
most certainly remove the button.  (The lawyers would see to that if customers didn't.)

-Bill

Footnote:  most of the network interviews include words of wisdom from "security
consultants".
At first it seems puzzling that they don't mention Microsoft's shoddy design...
until you
realize that disasters like this are the source of consulting fees.  It's in THEIR best
interest to blame the users, too.