Hi Greg,

Check out Smoothwall (www.smoothwall.org).  It's built for doing firewalling,
and has web interfaces for setting everything up.  Firewalls don't need to
be all that powerful, so a lightweight firewall config is going to be
best for you.

-Mark

Greg Kettmann wrote:

> I'm an "Architect", which means I design computer solutions.  Once upon
> a time I was a network administrator but my hands on skills are not what
> I'd like them to be, certainly not in the Linux space.  This is sort of
> an apology for asking potentially dumb questions.
>
> Recently my Linux Firewall, connected to MediaOne, was cracked.  I'm
> absolutely furious about the way M1/ AT&T handled the situation.  I knew
> my firewall wasn't tightened down very well, but it's just my house and
> I kept procrastinating.  So last week I get a nastygram from M1 saying
> my machine had been "caught" port scanning and that this activity was in
> violation of the "Terms and Conditions" for use.  This was a slap on the
> wrist and the next time they'd permanently pull my account.  Well, being
> on the road more often than not, I was only able to tighten up the
> machine, not reformat and rebuild.  Besides, I checked out the logs and
> there were tracks everywhere.  The idiot even built themselves an
> account.  I thought it was juvenile, amateur script kiddy stuff.  The
> following Sunday, about the only time I have time to work on anything,
> was Easter and family comes first.  So, on Friday, I was in New York
> City, Times Square and I get a call from my kids, very upset.  It seems
> that "tightening up" my firewall wasn't enough and they'd left a back
> door.  My machine had again been cracked and had been port scanning
> again.  Oops, my bad, I should have formatted the darn thing.  So, M1
> says, goodbye...forever.  Man am I mad at them.  I REALLY hate
> monopolies now.
>
> Well, I talked to their legal department, a million times better than
> their security department and it appears we can work something out.  So,
> my purpose here is two things.  One, to vent a little (thanks :-) ) and
> two to ask about known vulnerabilities.  My machine is a reformatted RH
> 6.2 installation.  I intend (downloading the kernel from a modem really
> stinks) to upgrade to 2.2.18 (any reason to go to .19?) because I heard
> there was some fix there.  Additionally I am going to get the latest
> BIND to fix that exploit.  I'm going to run a fairly tight IPCHAINS
> script.  I don't run an HTTP server on the firewall, nor any other
> services.  I will have SSH and FTP open.  Other than that I will open
> only things for my Masquerading machines inside to get out.  (POP, SMTP,
> HTTP, Time (13), Probably IRC and IDENTD (needed for many IRC's), FTP,
> etc pretty much the standard list.  Could one of you really good Network
> Admin guys tell me if I'm on the right track?  Any other suggestions?
> Thanks.
>
> Also, one other vent.  I wish those jerks at M1, instead of pulling the
> plug on my account, would first trace the darn thing and go try to catch
> the bad guy instead of harassing their customers.  Then they can pull
> the plug and give me a chance to fix it.  These procedures of theirs are
> [...]

Mark Komarinski - Senior Systems Engineer - VA Linux Systems
(cell)  978-697-2228
(email) [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Have one day pleasant" - Babelfish