From: Hewitt, Alexander
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2001 4:48 PM
To: Greg Kettmann
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: A story and some advice.

Greg, the best advice that you will get from me and others who frequent
this
group is to invest in a firewall/router box. I use the LinkSys BEFSR41
which has
4 10/100 ports but there are several other manufacturers of these
devices. They
cost around $150 or so but allow you to share up to 4 systems on your
cable-modem connection and as far as I know are impervious to
hackers/script
kiddies. Well worth the piece of mind!

-Alex

P.S. Unless you have a lot of time on your hands, I think you will find
that
hardening a system is an on-going chore that you probably don't have the
time
for. Just reading the logs would be time consuming.

Wirth's Law: Software gets slower faster than Hardware gets faster!

"On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section,
it
said 'Requires Windows 95 or better'. So I installed Linux."   -
Anonymous