Quoting Rich Payne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> If you're doing any serious sort of web application my suggestion would
> be to make it as DB neutral as possible. It makes it a little more
> painful
> at first as you can't necessarily make use of feature X of database Y
> but
> later on this usually pays off. However as usual YMMV.

Everything that I am writing should be as neutral as it possibly can be. For example,
I am currently developing a web based CRM utility to do customer management, lead
tracking, forcasting, etc. Anything that I develop will be made available to others,
so I want to make it as portable as possible. The reason that I ask about the
differences is because I am now doing actual db work, and I really don't know anything
about them. I am going to use on or the other, since they are open source, and they
are readily available. MySQL is what I have started with, just because it was what I
had always heard about. Then someone mentioned that they thought I should use
PostgreSQL. So, I figured that I would take it to the masses and find out what it is
that I don't know.

Thanks,
Kenny