In a message dated: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 20:33:54 EST
"Kenneth E. Lussier" said:

>Nessus can do nasty things to a system, and to a network as a whole if
>it isn't used correctly, wisely, and carefully.

Oh, didn't know that.

>> Can you explain a little more about the differences
>
>Nessus, on the other hand, is a vulnerability scanner. As part of it's
>process, it performs a port scan to see what is open. Nessus has the
>ability to use Nmap as it's plug-in port scanner. Port scaning is just
>the first step. It scans for open ports, then once it knows what is
>open, it checks the services that are running. For example, if it
>finds port 21 open, it will check to see of an ftp server is actually
>running on that port, and if so, which one. It will then attempt to
>exploit holes in the given service (buffer overflows, file
>permissions, anonymous exploits, etc.). If it finds holes, it will
>tell you what the problems are, and most times, it will tell you how
>to fix them.

Ohhhhhhhhhh!  Hmmmm, sounds like fun at the very least, but you're
right, not the right tool for what I was suggesting :)
--

Seeya,
Paul

                          God Bless America!

        ...we don't need to be perfect to be the best around,
                and we never stop trying to be better.
                       Tom Clancy, The Bear and The Dragon