Hey,

With all the talk about about DSL throughput, I'm wondering if anyone
out there has any experience with either Dish Network's or DirecTV's
satellite internet connectivity offerings.

Evidently DirecTV is partnering with the likes of Earthlink, and
they're offering *seems* cheaper than Dish Network's.

They advertise 400K down/128K up with 1/2 second of latency.
How does that compare with DSL/Cable modem? (I know it beats my 56K dialup :)

The down side is that it costs a little more than I want it to:

        $399            up front satellite dish cost
        $199            installation costs
        $69.95/month    service charge

Currently I'm paying $21.95/month for 56K dial-up service + $23.xx
for a second phone line.  So even after the up front costs of buying
a dish and installation, I'd still be paying $25/month more than I am
now :(  Of course, $25/month extra would probably be worth it for the
"always on" capability.

Does anyone have satellite access out there?  If so, what do you
think about it?

--

Seeya,
Paul

                          God Bless America!

        ...we don't need to be perfect to be the best around,
                and we never stop trying to be better.
                       Tom Clancy, The Bear and The Dragon