On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, Paul Lussier wrote:
> Does anyone have satellite access out there?  If so, what do you think
> about it?

  We have a client who signed up with StarBand's two-way satellite Internet
service.  It generally works, with one major problem: The latency is HORRID.
Time to ping the next hop is around 700 or 800 ms.  RTT to arbitrary hosts
on the Internet is measured in seconds -- I've seen RTTs as high as seven
seconds!

  The problem is one of distance.  Say you want to ping your next door
neighbor.  On landline, your packet might go to your ISP, to their ISP, to a
PoP in Boston, maybe to a peering point in New York City, and back down
another route to your neighbor's ISP.  All in all, between 500 and 2000
miles of copper, worst-case.

  Geosynchronous orbit is roughly 22,000 miles straight up.

  Your request has to go 22,000 miles into space, turn around and go 22,000
miles to the ISP's ground-station, travel on the Internet, get processed,
return to the ground-station, travel 22,000 miles up, and then 22,000 miles
back down to you, for a grand total of almost 100,000 miles.

  Just to ping.

  We don't normally think of TCP as an interactive application.  Believe me,
when you've got latency like that, it is.  Web browsing is agonizing.
Forget anything like Telnet, SSH, IRC, VoIP, etc.

  Our client hates it.  Unfortunately, they locked themselves into a
one-year contract.  (They did all this without asking us, of course.)

  Also, the service is very heavily centered around MS-Windows, and they do
some goofy things with routing (like hand out default routes which are
unreachable without manual routing table updates).

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>