Unless things have changed a lot from 7.0 (or I am mistaken - I haven't messed
with it for a long time) the entry:

id:5:initdefault:

is what you need.  Yours probably says:

id:3:initdefault:

My guess is that the installer choses runlevel (3 -- or not 5 at least)because
  it might be a good idea not to boot into X for a new system. Better to try X
out 1st with startx.  I think both 7.0 and 7.2 did that for me.

BTW: for $7 you can buy an up-to-date RH 7.2 CD-ROM set with all errata
applied and some extras.  See http://www.tummy.com/KRUD.  Subscriptions are
available for monthly update disks.  I plan to install the March update real
soon now, replacing my 7.0 RedHat -- and getting up-to-date on Erratas all at
once.  (not associated with tummy.com, just a customer, ...)

-- Mark Polhamus