In a message dated: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 09:28:31 PST
Ken Ambrose said:

>On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> Anyone install RH7.2, have the X config go smoothly, have it tell you
>> that GNOME would be your desktop, choose a graphical login, and still
>> have it present you with a text login?
>
>Well, I've never had a problem with it, but then, I usually select text
>for my login -- I hate waiting for X to come up if I don't need it.
>However, it's an easy fix, regardless of what the root cause might be.

Yeah, you'd think so, however, as I stated, getting it to work wasn't
my priority, figuring out if what I was seeing was normal for a 7.2
install was.

>Add the following line to the end of your /etc/inittab file:
>
>x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon
>
>Unless I'm mistaken, that'll fix the whole shebang -- it puts you into
>runlevel 5, which is just techno-babble for "GUI login".

Yeah, that was my first guess too.  However, that's already in the
initab file.  prefdm is a shell script which then looks in /etc/
sysconfig/desktop for the DESKTOP entry, which was blank.

In theory, this should be okay, and it should default to GNOME if
that's available and if /usr/sbin/gdm exists, should start that up.

It didn't.  I don't know why.  I'm in the process of writing install
directions for X via a normal installation of the OS, and for some
reason, it b0rk3d :(
--

Seeya,
Paul