My IBM T20 does the same, and every now and then I look to see if
there's been any change in how speedstep is implemented.  According to
AC, it's the hardware that controls the speedstep:

http://lists.insecure.org/linux-kernel/2000/Oct/0208.html

Maybe each hardware vendor has their own driver for this?

-Mark