On Thu, 2002-05-23 at 11:20, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In a message dated: 23 May 2002 11:09:07 EDT
> "Kenneth E. Lussier" said:
>
> >It's about time, too. Even "Linux Companies" like Penguin, Angstrom
> >Micro, and formerly VA, didn't ship Debian. It was all Red Hat.
>
> That's not entirely true.  VA was shipping Debian "towards the end".
> Of course, "way back then" when there were "Linux Companies", the
> only distro anyone had heard of *was* RedHat.  When you're trying to
> get into a company and end up talking to a PHB or some other exec who
> asks what's on the box, you don't want to answer them with something
> requiring a long-winded explanation which will delve into exactly
> what a distro is, how it works, blah, blah, blah.

VA supported Debian for all of under 12 mos, ending about 3-4 months
before they got out of the hardware business.  Of the customers I talked
to, most requested RH, with one asking for Debian.  Strange thing was,
they bought the machines with RH, then installed Debian afterwords.

In other news, Sherwin-Williams will be using IBM gear and Linux
to drive cash registers at 2500 stores.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=581&e=2&cid=581&u=/nm/20020523/tc_nm/tech_ibm_sherwinwilliams_dc_1

-Mark