In a message dated: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 16:19:29 EDT
"Derek D. Martin" said:

>> > Given my druthers, I'd rather run my own server, but Paul's particular
>> > situation left him few options.
>>
>>   Paul likes exmh, and MH clients and IMAP do not mix
>
>This isn't exactly true; Paul is just stubborn.

Hey, wait! I resemble that remark! ;)

>It is true that exmh can't access IMAP folders directly.
>The solution to this problem is use fetchmail to retrieve the IMAP messages,
>and use exmh to read them locally.

Which is exactly what I'm doing now.

>You can either leave the messages on the server, or provide
>your own back-up mechanism.

Not following this line of thought.  If I leave the messages on the
server and use fetchmail to access them, I then must constantly
download all the messages I've already read but left on the server.

And what do you mean by "back-up mechanism"?

>Or, you can just use Mutt. :)
>[Mutt supports mbox, mmdf, maildir, mh... etc. as well as IMAP and POP3.]

Mutt has minimal support for mh folders.  Yes, it can read them, but
it doesn't update your scan cache or your unseen cache, which means
that if you jump back and forth between different interfaces to you
mailbox, like mutt and exmh, your view of things under each interface
will be quite different.

>> so he would have little use for such a tool, I am sure.
>
>This part, OTOH, is quite true.  If you were to use the above
>technique, clearly you'd just filter locally with procmail.

Which is exactly what I do.

Maybe you're referring to the way I worked at MCL when I insisted on
running exmh *on* the mail server.  The reason for this had nothing
to do with exmh or IMAP.  On the contrary, it had everything to do
with procmail.  In an ideal situation (which I found myself in at MCL
and don't at my current site of employment) I want to do several
things with my e-mail:

        - use vacation as an auto-responder
        - filter several hundred e-mails per day as they come in
        - access 1 view of my e-mail from multiple locations
        - high availability for where I read my e-mail from

While at MCL I accessed my e-mail on a daily basis from my house as
well as while at work.  If I were to have used fetchmail from my
desktop system to suck my e-mail down to it, I had no HA capability,
not in the sense of a clustered environment, but at least on UPS and
regularly backed up.  I could not guarantee with any amount of
certainty that my system would be up over a weekend much less a week
while on vacation.  That means that:

        - I was no longer filtering my e-mail real-time
        - I couldn't read my e-mail with a single, consistent view
        - I couldn't have vacation auto-respond to incoming e-mail

Since exmh doesn't have direct IMAP support, it made more sense to
run the client on the mail server.  Additionally, I don't like mutt.
I have years of customizations invested in exmh, why should I spend
an inordinate amount of time re-learning a tool which IMO falls short
of the capabilities I have with exmh?

But you're right, I am stubborn :)

--

Seeya,