Erik Price said:

>script/tool, they do it in Perl (at least I do).  For instance, Perl's
>regexes are a lot easier and more precise (to me) than the bash's
>globbing system.  Well, I guess that's not fair, I just know a little

Sometimes globbing is easier to work with then regex.  I think Perl can
do globbing if you want.  Of course if you want to do something
complex, regex can do much more then globbing.

>bit more Perl than I do bash.  But what I'm wondering is if there really
>are a lot of Unix systems out there that don't come with Perl, to the

Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, Irix, Tru64 (?).  If you deal with older systems: SunOS,
Ultrix, OSF and older versions of all of the above, for sure.  Yes,
perl is available on all of these, but it's an add on.  I've also been
in an environment where I couldn't install perl w/o 6 months of
justification (think DOD B2 systems).

If you're dealing with the single floppy linux distributions, perl is
usually left off.  Some linuxen had perl as an add on (slackware).
Especially the older versions.  I think some of the BSDs are looking
toward moving perl to the optional sections too.

I had to break into an Ultrix system from the boot CD once.  Can you
belive they didn't put ls on there?  I had to use echo *.

System startup scripts shouldn't assume more then sh and the
programs in /bin.  Solaris Jumpstart works like this too.

>extent that a script accompanying an application should be written in
>bash or csh over Perl.  (Not counting the super-specialized systems like

csh scripting!?!?!  You heathen! :-)  As someone who has fixed & ported
many csh scripts, don't do it!  I found problems porting csh from SunOS
to Solaris even!

>handhelds which might not have Perl for space reasons.)

Such as my 1 floppy system examples.

>I cannot find it for the life of me, but somewhere in the
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] archives (that damnable WebObject
>interface is terrible and doesn't return the matches) is a quotation by
>Douglas Adams.  He describes the joys of spending fifteen minutes
>writing a script that he could have done by hand in five minutes.
>
>Come on, we've all done it.  Admit it...

Absolutely.  If I don't have to do that task again, that script was a
waste.  Until the 4th time.....

--
-------
Tom Buskey