Another option we've discussed previously is e-guile..  This would make
invoice templates effectively hand-written HTML with embedded guile..
So if you wanted to change the look at feel of your invoice you would
just edit the HTML until it looked how you wanted it to look..  And then
the embedded guile interpreter would run the template you created
and display it with the relevant information.

Then we could also distribute a bunch of templates (similar to iBiz)
and you could choose one or create your own.

I like this idea.

Unfortunately as I was looking for an e-guile link I noticed that the
author restructured his website and the old page is no longer there.
I just emailed him about it.  As I recall e-guile was effectively a single
source file, so we could just copy-and-paste it into GnuCash and then
someone would just need to figure out how to integrate it into the
report subsystem and set up a runtime environment for a report template.

Once we have access to that source I would like to look into it.

Sounds good, but what do you think, Derek, about 2,3, and 4--directly above?

I think they sound like a great idea.  I would love for someone to dedicate
time to coalescing all the various docs, finding out what docs are missing,
what docs are duplicated, and honing down our docs into:

 user-docs  (gnucash-docs package)
 dev-docs   (in doxygen)
 build docs (README, HACKING, ...)
 arch docs  (everything else, which bridges the gaps)

I don't believe we'd need something like Drupal for this; I think this
could all be done in CVS/SVN.

Hmmm, but is there anywhere that says in stuff like in version 2.5 we will have whatever, and in v. 3.0 will be these features as well. A current roadmap I guess. Is it not neccessary to have all this and the docs above on the/a website? Right now there is the wiki, gnucash.org, and then independent developers' sites all with different info. I want to sound rude, just that I was confused at where Gnucash is going after G2, so I thought if I am confused maybe others are as well--hence the website suggestions. For example, I read the QSF part on Neil's site and now I wonder what QOF/QSF has to do with G2, SQL backend, multi-user support, .... I am sorry and maybe I am a bit green on developing such an app, but I just don't get any of the stuff with QOF/QSF. Is it part of the "Free the data" concept or to
support multiple backends/platforms or what?

Sincerely,
Brian

--
Contagious Design!
web . design . photo

Brian Rose .  web programmer
(604)-630-2426 . brianATcontagiousdesignDOTnet