Please remember to reply to the mailing list, not the original sender:

+++++++++

I am not familiar with the NAT box you have. Sorry.

I am probably also not familiar with the release of Windows you are
using. The last versions of Windows I have any experience with are 98
and NT 4. I hope sincerely that I will not gain any more experience with
Windows.

You should not need to register any service names to Windows - gdipc
does not look up service names. Just specify the port numbers.

Is there a software firewall running on your Windows machine? Can wou
redirect port 80 (i.e, web server) on the firewall device to port 80 on
an internal machine?

Brian S wrote:

> Please remember to reply to the mailing list, not the original sender:

> +++++++++
>
> Thank you very much for taking the time to explain the gdipc -g option.
>
> Unfortunately, I am still having the same problem.
>
> Apparantly, my problem stems more from my inability to define the correct
> firewall filter/forwarding rule rather than the gdipc configuration.
>
> If you have some example of how the rule needs to be set up to do the
> correct forwarding, I would really appreciate it.  I am somewhat new to
> configuring filter rules.  I have done straight port forwarding, but based
> on your description, it appears I need to redirect one port to another (i.e.
> filter rule?).
>
> I am using a Netgear RP114.
>
> The corrective action I have taken based on your message was to open a
> second port in my firewall and forward that port to the machine running the
> 'gdipc -g' command.  On my Netgear router, it appears as such:
>
>                       Menu 15 - SUA Server Setup
>           Rule   Start Port No.   End Port No.   IP Address
>          ---------------------------------------------------
>             1.    Default          Default        0.0.0.0
>             2.      3645             3646         10.10.22.2
>
> Note: I have tried both defining a range ( 3645 -> 3646 ) and individual (
> 3645 -> 3645 && 3646 -> 3646 ) forwarding definitions.
>
> I have also tried defining the filter rule:
>                         Menu 21.4 - Filter Rules Summary
> # A Type                       Filter Rules             M m n
> - - ---- ---------------------------------------------- - - -
> 1 Y IP   Pr=17, SA=10.10.22.2, SP=3645, DA=0.0.0.0      N N N
> 2 Y IP   Pr=17, SA=0.0.0.0, DA=0.0.0.0, DP=3646         N F N
>
> And in /winnt/system32/drivers/etc/services:
>
> gnudynipsend     3645/udp
> gnudyniprecv     3646/udp
>
> The output still appears as such:
>
> F:\Software\gdipc>gdipc -g 3645:3646
> ====  gdipc.bat running:  Sat Mar 23 06:53:15 2002  ====
> Configuration file name: F:/Software/gdipc/gdipc.conf.txt
> Cache file name: F:/Software/gdipc/gdipc.cache.user.zeropain.com.txt
> Address validation failed for 24.136.122.212 - UDP packet timed out
> Attempting update at zeropain.com ...
> Update to address 24.136.122.212 from 24.136.122.212 successful for
> user.zeropain.com

> Apparantly, no matter how I define my port filtering/forward, I am getting
> the same response back (updating the address of the GnuDIP server correctly,
> but not being able to determine it hasn't changed).
>
> I have trolled some newsgroups for postings on this, but I haven't found an
> example that I understand will do what I need to do to use gdipc.
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> -brian

Creighton MacDonnell
http://macdonnell.ca/