Please remember to reply to the mailing list, not the original sender:

+++++++++

Please join the mailing list and correspond using it.

I have left your whole E-mail at the end so people can see it all.

> From this example, it looks like I would need to transfer the domain
> name to one of the dynamic DNS services, and then use that service to
> point to my IP address when someone is looking for patuxent.org.
> But from my investigation at some  of the dynamic DNS sites,  it looks
> as though I would have to use the domain name they provide instead of
> the DNS I have registered.

Yes. You do. Perhaps the example is not clear. Here is a modified
version:

$TTL 1D
patuxent.org.     SOA   patuxent.org. root.patuxent.org. (
                    20020101      ;serial
                    3600          ;refresh
                    1800          ;retry
                    604800        ;expiration
                    0             ;TTL for NACK
                    )
patuxent.org.     NS    ns1.patuxent.dyn.mpis.net.
patuxent.org.     NS    ns2.patuxent.dyn.mpis.net.
patuxent.org.     MX 0  patuxent.dyn.mpis.net.
www.patuxent.org. CNAME patuxent.dyn.mpis.net.

For this to work, you get a dynamic domain name called
"patuxent.dyn.mpis.net." at

  http://www.2mbit.com/gnudip/cgi-bin/gnudip.cgi

You make sure you have "wild card" selected. Then register
"ns1.patuxent.dyn.mpis.net." and "ns2.patuxent.dyn.mpis.net." as the
name servers for the "patuxent.org." domain at your register. If your
registrar insists that you also provide IP addresses for these name
servers, enter anything you like, the addresses will never be used by
the ".org" root server.

You also have to get a client set up to maintain your address for
"patuxent.dyn.mpis.net.".

===

--
Creighton MacDonnell