Tim Spriggs wrote:

> It would be really nice if we could ship the binaries. It takes a really
> long time to download, build, then install in the current scheme.
> Installation from the already built packages is at least an order or two
> of magnitude faster.
>
> There is one/two sticky points:
>
> Unpacking sprosslnk (from .../sprosslnk_12-1_solaris-i386.deb) ...
> dpkg - warning, overriding problem because --force enabled:
> trying to overwrite `/usr/bin/c89', which is also in package gcc
> dpkg - warning, overriding problem because --force enabled:
> trying to overwrite `/usr/bin/c99', which is also in package gcc
> dpkg - warning, overriding problem because --force enabled:
> trying to overwrite `/usr/bin/c++filt', which is also in package binutils
> Setting up sprosslnk (12-1) ...
>

> I'm not sure in how to deal with this directly. Alternatives popped into
> mind but the files are not currently configured as alternatives in
> gcc/binutils.

the better way are diversions, see dpkg-divert, are you installing into
/usr/ ? I thought that sunwspro goes into /opt/SUNWspro by default and
thus does not conflict with anything (read: I have not had a time to
play with your package yet)...

> Is it appropriate to ask upstream to make this types of modification?
> I'm unsure of the likely success I would have in doing such...

upstream will not help us here, as this is solaris specific problem,
only as soon as the sunwspro will be packaged for let's say ubuntu, then
the conflict with binutils will become apparent enough to be treated
important... until then we have to cope with it in nexenta...

> -Tim

HTH,
Martin