Hi Christopher,

* Nexenta has not contributed much in terms of code back to
opensolaris. Point taken. Nexenta is project trying to provide the
Ubuntu package repository with opensolaris advantages. As per this
mission, our efforts have been towards makingf these two work
together.

* No original work done: I've joined in late, so wont comment on
things past a year, but I've seen lot of innovation in the project
since, not the least of which are Tim's contributions.

* Why do people care?: Why do people use windows? why do people use
QWERTY (as opposed to DROVAK), etc? These choices weren't made based
on as much on objective or technical merits.. they were used, and the
userbase grew. We have a BIG ubuntu/debian userbase out there and
_plenty_ of them would be happy with moving to Nexenta and it's apt
tools,  than other userland/etc. There's a _big_ potential audience,
and the Nexenta mission seems like a promising way to easily reach
them. This isnt a reply based on technical merits, but on numbers.

* Bounty : The bounty was a new idea we (the project) decided to try
out this time. The numbers aren't huge, but we decided it'll generate
additional interest in the project. We'll know soon.

* Patches: Yes, this has been upto individual package maintainers,
largely, and we haven't yet published a policy document. We do use
upstream patched on packages, and critical fixes from opensolaris are
applied on sunw* packages. This is one area that we need to improve.

*Ruffling feathers : yes, you did, and I also see that you've been to
point and voiced your concerns objectively.

Perhaps Nexenta isn't heading in a direction you have in mind, or
consider worthy. But it is on a promising road, nonetheless. We are a
few developers, and any suggestions towards our mission (making
policies more clear, automating and maintaining patches better,
licensing clarifications, tools to add value to Ubuntu with
opensolaris) will be thankfully appreciated.

~Anil