[..]

When I mean fully open.. I mean from bootstrapping jamvm so you can build icedtea6 to using small tricks like ksh93's built-in tail/printf..
Fully open is the goal. Work has been done towards an open libc.
I'm a skeptic.. the glibc port is cool and fun, but maybe the author can add a comment on if it's actually a viable route.
I would love to see various JVMs implemented under Nexenta. Currently most of the java packages are not being built because gcj is missing. It's possible that another JVM can be put in its place but the work still needs to be done to do this.
gcc 4.x comes with gcj.. that builds on OpenSolaris.. or there another reason this is blocked on Nexenta? Anyway.. the much more simple approach is probably to try to bootstrap with cacao or jamvm
Yeah, the vast majority of package dependencies are setup explicitly for gcj. It may be possible to modify all of these but I think it makes more sense to get gcj going. It's disabled in the current build and I think the compile breaks somewhere. I haven't dug deep into the issue though, it's just another thing on the list.
OpenJDK is the default JVM in Ubuntu starting from 8.10. So this is already the past. I guess Debian is going to do the same soon, though I did not hear any such plan (but they are in the release process of Lenny, which is taking ages as usual, and freezing large decisions).

[..]