An interesting idea from Alito Siqueira of Goa University's Sociology
Department. If you share the dream, please contact him at
alito_ at excite.com

PRAJNA
Programme for Knowledge by All

"Study is the patrimony of no one and the place of study where you carry out
your work is the patrimony of no one - it belongs to all the people... and
it must be extended to the people or the people will seize it" Che Guevara

Democratising knowledge i.e. knowledge by all invites more members of the
community to participate in the generation and accreditation of knowledge
and stands in contrast to democratising learning opportunities i.e.
knowledge for all. Apart from broadening the production base, the
challenging aim of democratisation knowledge is to empower a community to
start contesting knowledge, to enter the arena of the politics of
knowledge.'

Contemporary education is premised on fundamental chasms that separates the
academic from the distributor o knowledge and they in turn from the learner,
the producer from the consumers. This split constructed notionally in term
of time i.e. that today's learner can and may generate knowledge only if and
when learning is complete in the future. This separation and displacement of
the knowledge creation of the learner, structurally denies the learner
access to the mysteries of knowledge generation (problem-setting,
methodology, information gathering) and denies participation in the
authorisation of information into accredited knowledge by the mystification
of verification procedures or at times through spurious institutional
confidentiality in processes.

Having created a narrow base whereby knowledge is controlled by an elite,
all 'others' and their difference is relegated to the position of 'not
knowing' and they are effect silenced and are reduced to a problem to be
overcome in part through 'knowledge for all'.  The excluded embrace the
entire range of non western civilisations. For the 'other' at best the
western system is like laying a thin socio-cultural membrane over indigenous
society and norms, creating a sort of cultural schizophrenia which most of
us share. At worst, imposing the western system builds a support mechanism
for direct colonization, which has dogged non-western peoples for two
centuries.

Even within the hegemonic culture of knowledge there is the rift of 'words
and things' and all that is non-cerebral is canonically undermined; the
emotional, the literary, the somatic, the spiritual and knowledge from
below. These excluded knowledges may sometimes be given a window where they
is identified as such e.g. 'traditional systems of?.'

Prajna (see attached note on page 5) attempts to challenge that which
divides. It recognises that experience, creativity and knowledge generation
are ontologically, epistemologically and practically both central and a
necessary precondition to learning. The forum encourages participants to
choose, control and be responsible for their own knowledge creation based on
their own mixed and schizophrenic experience through workshops, courses,
retreats, events, happenings, outings etc. Prajna goes beyond pedagogy (the
art and science of teaching children) and andragogy (the study of adult
learning) to heutagogy, (the study of self-determined learning). The forum
emphasize the shared creation of some productive output related to ones own
community or environment or life and learning skills from writing or
research methods or performance or film making to serve the ends to
expression, where participants may so choose to. The guiding metaphor is
that of 'healing the breach' between 'words and things' and between forms of
knowledge which are usually separated in our education: cerebral and
emotional understanding; literary and scientific knowledge; the canonical
versus the mundane chaotic; knowledge developed 'from above' or 'from
below', knowledge about self and that of the world, between process and
product. Above all it is a mode of being in the world.

Recognising the exclusion of the learner a number of techniques and
pedagogies have emerged which seeks to shift the centre from the teacher and
the syllabus to the student and give larger autonomy to the learner in both
formal and non formal knowledge systems (see glossary for a selected list).
However, this innovation and democratising is more common at the centre of
the hegemonic knowledge elite. Again within India these liberties are
practiced only in elite institutions. Hence such measures most often bring
limited gain for the relatively advantaged among the disadvantaged The run
of the mill Indian Universities (already on the margins of global
visibility) secure in the pretension that the modernist authoritarian
pedagogy of chalk and talk, fear that any liberty and innovation will mean
even lower credibility, missing the fact that they have already lost the
learners due to the boring passivity that their methods demand. While
globalisation makes possible the democratisation of innovation the
psychological logic of prolonged exclusion fo these institutions has a built
in mechanism whereby the excluded are bound to exclude themselves further?
modern institution in a postmodern world? a symbol of what has passed. A
synoptic account of the difference in learning paradigms may be seen as
under:

Differing Learning Paradigms

Liberal
Radical
Primary Focus
Different Learners
Different Epistemology
Relationship to the Broader System of Education
Accepting the System
Challenging the System
Needs Analysis
System-Driven
User-Driven
Primary Change Sought in Formal Education
Access New Models of Accreditation
Not Applicable right now
Objective
Universal Functional Literacy
Universal Civic Literacy
Guiding Vision
Credentialism
Empowerment
Outcome
Domestication
Emancipation

Prajna stands with the radical paradigm. To begin with Pranja offers a
workshop in Creating Social Knowledge (see attached outline on page 8).
Participants will begin by choosing a problem of their choice to research
upon and then be provided a multi lingual environment and facilitator (who
may be a resisting academic participating on the periphery of the dominant
education system) to create an output which could be published in the local
paper. Another activity could be a retreat 'Mind, Body, Performance and
Dance'. The course through an exploration of the ethnography of performative
ritual in the region and dance exercises engages with the problematic
mind-body dichotomy the foundational canon of the dominant paradigm. Yet
another activity could be a course on 'Visualising the neighbourhood'. With
the availability of semi pro broadcast quality digital cameras and video
editing software that can be installed on PCs (Aprox Rs. 3.5 lakhs) the art
and techniques of documenting through video is turning increasingly
democratic. The possibilities it offers participants is of capturing one's
own environment (visually) and understanding it through the process of
editing (selection of images, juxtaposition etc). This opens new and other
dimensions for understanding an issue. It simultaneously opens up new areas
of interest and enquiry on the interactive aspect of the medium and for
broadcasting other knowledges.

The workshops will have few participants to encourage interactivity. A broad
outline may be suitable advertised and the actual syllabus may be defined
and decided along with the participants and is constrained only by the skill
sets available with the facilitator and the group. Interacting would be
multilingual and at times and places chosen by the participants. This
paradigm also opens up the truly inspiring goal that each class learns more
than the previous graduating class further a participant from one course
could as well use his knowledge in another area to design another workshop.
Prajna may not offer credentials (though aware that too is form of
credential). Rather it would leave its participants and facilitators to
provide the credential for the forum following the age old popular wisdom of
every teacher. Given the poor quality of skill formation and curricula of
the formal system at least one college has offered to host the course on
Creating Social Knowledge. In part it is hoped that the course may enhance
the quality of skills of the students and the quality of output of their end
course research project. While this may give an assured demand for the
course and so also broadcast the difference in assumptions about knowledge
work, it may also place expectations and demands in terms of the product for
a system that itself is unclear of what it wants from its research project.
So positioning Prajna as a extra-curricula activity of the existing formal
system needs to be discussed.

>From our origins, groups have engaged in educational activities that have
experimented with collaborative and mutually supportive ways of learning.
They continue to do so such as in farming, cantar (Song) writing
competitions, theatre workshops, and journeys in self discovery. These
activates demonstrate a heightened awareness of how educational policies and
practices perpetuate exclusion. These groups may search for progression
routes within the broader education system that validate their learning to
date and that allow them to continue to learn in participative,
collaborative ways. The majority have walked out, dropped out, been pushed
out or just left out of formal education which could not include their
experience. While they live of their wits they may at time want access to
universities because they recognize that university qualifications are
valuable currency in the labour market. However, they want more than mere
access to the existing system. They want opportunities to participate in
radically reshaping the system so that it can respond to their preferred way
of learning and in so doing, acknowledge these as valid and worthwhile.
Furthermore they are concerned that progression through the formal system
should not entail renouncing one's identity or becoming alienated from core
values. Parjna is one such forum poised to engage with the 'gate-keepers' of
knowledge. The engagement reverses the direction of micropower by
simultaneously suspending the academic's monopoly over authorisation, while
it re-authorises a previously de-authorised voice or knowledge

Prajna is premised on the now accepted position that knowledge is primarily
a political not primarily an epistemological deployment. The contrast
between democratising learning opportunities and those that promote
democratisation of the processes of knowledge creation may be summed up as
follows:

"?knowledge-as-regulation, whose point of ignorance is called chaos and
whose point of knowledge is called order, and knowledge-as-emancipation,
whose point of ignorance is called colonialism and whose point of knowledge
is called solidarity" Dos Santos

Dos Santos uses the term 'colonialism' to encapsulate the narrow base
whereby knowledge is controlled by an elite. Solidarity, on the other hand,
refers to the end point of a dynamic process that perceives difference not
as a problem, but as the prime site for creating new and purposeful
knowledge.

Selected References:

Muller Johan and Nico Cloete: The White Hands: Academic social scientists
and forms of popular knowledge production, Production of Popular Knowledge

Critical Arts, Volume 4(2), 1986. Internet WWW page, at URL:
http://www.und.ac.za/und/ccms/publications/criticalarts/v4n2a1.htm#intro
(version current as of December 05, 2003.)

Ryan Anne: The Challenge of Access: Confronting the Gatekeepers of
Knowledge', URL: http://www.may.ie/registrar/access/main.shtml (version
current as of December 02, 2003)

Progler Yusuf: Contemplating an Education System for Decolonization and
Rejuvenation. www.multiworld.org/m_versity/articles/article.htm (version
current as of December 07, 2003)

Progler J. A: Moving beyond western theories of education?
www.multiworld.org/m_versity/articles/article.htm (version current as of
December 07, 2003)

Barr, Robert B and John Tagg: From teaching to learning--a new paradigm for
undergraduate education, Change; Nov/Dec95, Vol. 27:6.

Ingleton Christine, Margaret Kiley, et. al: Leap Into Student Centered
Learning, www.acue.adelaide.edu.au (version current as of December 05,
2003.)

E-learning at bath: Are you an objectivist or a constructivist, URL:
http://www.bath.ac.uk/e-learning/pedagogy.htm (version current as of
December 05, 2003.)

____________

This note is collage of ideas burrowed from different sources, sometimes
verbatim. In the interest of brevity I have mentioned in the references only
those pieces on which I have relied on most extensively. They ideas are
glued together through my experience as a teacher, experiments at Goa
University and conversations with numerous persons both sympathetic and
antagonistic. Critiques, comments, suggestions and modifications are
welcome.

Alito Siqueria. [EMAIL PROTECTED]
December 08, 2003.
PRAJNA

Mahayana is referred to as "the great vehicle" of Buddhism because it is
vast and challenging and open to everyone. At the heart of the mahayana path
are compassion, or karuna and wisdom, or prajna. For the practitioner, the
challenge is how to bring these two together. Prajna is a Sanskrit word
literally meaning "best knowledge," or "best knowing." Prajna is a natural
bubbling up of curiosity, doubt and inquisitiveness. It is precise, but at
the same time it is playful. The awakening of prajna applies to all aspects
of life, down to the tiniest details. Our inquisitive interest encompasses
all levels, from the most mundane, such as how do I turn on this computer,
up to such profound levels as, what is the nature of reality?

Prajna is symbolized in many ways: as a book, a sun, a vase of elixir, as a
catalytic spark. One of the main ways prajna is symbolized is as a sword.
When you think of a sword, it may make you feel a little uncomfortable. A
sword can be dangerous and if you do not handle it properly, you can get
hurt. So depicting prajna as a sword points to knowledge that's threatening.
Why is prajna threatening? Because prajna is the means by which we perceive
emptiness, or shunyata, it undermines our very notion of reality and the
limits we place on our world view. Opening to the vastness and profundity of
shunyata requires us to let go of our petty-mindedness and self-clinging
completely.

The sharpness of prajna cuts at many levels. In the mundane sense, prajna
represents a sharpening of perception and inquisitiveness. As we go about
our lives, and particularly as we enter a spiritual path, we are always
raising questions. We are always trying to understand. Instead of just
accepting a superficial understanding, we think deeply and ask, "What do I
really understand? Does any of this make any sense whatsoever?" Prajna has
this quality of creative doubt-not just accepting things based on authority
or hearsay, but continually digging deeper. In addition to being sharp,
swords have sharp points and they are able to puncture. The sharp-pointed
sword of prajna punctures all sorts of delusions, all sorts of
self-deception, all sorts of false understandings and false views. This
puncturing quality of prajna is abrupt and immediate. It catches you by
surprise.

Another image for prajna is the sun: the sun of prajna is illuminating our
world. If we're inquisitive, if we're attentive, a kind of natural
illumination happens. There is light shining on the dark corners and a sense
of being under the spotlight, totally exposed. What is funny is that we
actually think we can hide. How could we think that? How could we think that
we actually don't know who we are? But a lot of times we take the approach
of not really wanting to look too closely at ourselves or at our lives. We
just look the other way and move on. However, there's no corner where the
sun of prajna isn't shining. Prajna is like having a sun shining all around,
everywhere, never setting. Once you open up to prajna, to this fundamental
inquisitiveness, it tends to burst into full flame. It is like a little
spark dropped into a pile of dry leaves. Once there is that little spark,
that little bit of insight, that little bit of suspicion we actually know
more than we think we do-it explodes, it's all consuming.

Prajna is represented iconographically by the feminine deity Prajnaparamita
and the masculine deity Manjushri. Prajnaparamita is depicted as a beautiful
feminine deity with four arms. Two arms are folded on her lap in the classic
posture of meditation, and her two other arms hold a sword and a book.
Through these gestures, she manifests three aspects of prajna: academic
knowledge, cutting through deception, and direct perception of emptiness. As
the masculine deity personifying knowledge, Manjushri is also depicted
holding a sword. Sometimes he also holds a vase filled with the elixir of
knowledge, which symbolizes direct intuitive insight. The sword is the
activity of prajna and the vase is the receptive aspect of learning.
Sometimes Manjushri holds a book and a flower. The book symbolizes scholarly
learning and the flower represents the organic unfolding of prajna, which
like a flower, naturally opens and blossoms. It does not need to be forced.

Prajna has to do with cultivating inquisitiveness of mind, cultivating deep
understanding that is not a mere credential but transforms who we are
altogether. How can prajna be cultivated? The process of deepening our
understanding is referred to as the three levels of prajna, or the three
prajnas. These are called hearing, contemplating, and meditating.

The first prajna, hearing, is based on being open to new information,
gathering knowledge, and really trying to listen. Although it is called
hearing, in addition to listening with one's ears, it also includes reading
and observing through all our senses. When you hear the dharma or listen to
the teachings, you are supposed to be like a deer in the woods. You hear a
noise-footsteps on leaves-and you don't know if that noise is a hunter or a
mountain lion. At that moment your senses perk up completely. You are
focused and ready to leap from danger, if need be. You are absolutely alert
and absolutely tuned into the environment. That quality of refined alertness
and attention is the quality of hearing. You need to listen to the teachings
as though your life depended on it. That is the proper way to go about the
first prajna.

However, at this point, we see knowledge as something that's separate from
us, an object out there that we are trying to figure out how to deal with.
To go deeper, we turn to the second prajna, contemplating. Once we've heard
or read or experienced something, contemplation means really chewing it
over. We continually question what we have heard, looking at it from
different angles, taking time to explore it. I remember my teacher, Chögyam
Trungpa Rinpoche, saying that if you really understand the teachings, you
should be able to describe them to your grandmother in a way that she can
hear it. That's pretty challenging-you can't just march in and lay out your
cookie-cutter talk or your many layers of lists and terms. You have to have
chewed things over and really thought it through. You need to get to the
point where you can express the teachings in your own words, your own
images. You need to find your voice, and that takes time. That is the idea
of contemplation.

The third prajna is called meditating. This is the point where you have
studied something so thoroughly, looked into it so completely, that it's not
separate from you anymore. It is part of who you are, down to your very
bones and marrow. The prajna of meditation means that you have actually
digested the teachings. There's no need to try to call the dharma down from
somewhere, or make an effort to reconstruct it, because it's already there.
It's in your cells and your DNA.

Hearing is like putting a morsel of food in your mouth. Contemplating is
like swallowing that food and starting to digest it and seeing whether it
gives you indigestion or not. Meditating is when you've already digested it
and that food is a part of you. It cannot be separated from you; it is
completely incorporated in your being. You have taken the essence and you've
discarded anything that's irrelevant, the same as we do with the food we eat
or the air we breathe. The whole process is as natural as eating.

Usually we think that knowledge means having all the answers, but the
quality of prajna is more like having all the questions. The phrase Trungpa
Rinpoche used over and over again was, "The question is the answer." We're
looking in the wrong direction if we think some path or some teacher or some
book or some practice is going to provide us with "the ultimate answer."
What we really should be looking for is the ultimate question. We could
learn to trust our questioning mind. We could learn to trust our insight
without reducing it or pinning it down into our conventional categories. In
fact, prajna can't be pigeonholed. That would be like trying to put the sun
into a pigeonhole. It simply doesn't work. Fundamentally prajna is big
questioning mind. It is big questioning, not even mind.

(compiled from Judy Lief's "The Sharp Sword of Prajna" [in Shambala Sun
Online, May, 2003 and sent in by Dilip Loundo. I am not quite sure if our
programme is too much to do with Vidhya while Prajna tilts towards jana.  I
would welcome suggestions and also a suitable acronym).

Workshop on Creating Social Knowledge: Workshop Outline
Objectives

To define a social situation, event or problem that the participant would
like to explore as individual or in groups.

To collect and use information and analyze the problem and arrive at conclusion.

To engage creatively with the rules and procedures of Research Methods.

To prepare a creative product.

To experience the joy of knowledge creation.

Proposed Process

The course is being carried on the assumption that one can learn but cannot
be thought creative problem solving. If you are used to lectures this might
be a bit strange to you. But if you think of the number of things you have
learnt in life outside the classroom (and it is almost certainly they were
the most important) you will soon realize that it is not so difficult after
all and that it indeed could be a very enjoyable way of learning - certainly
a much better way.

Beginning with the choice of the problem, as a participant you will have to
discuss and agree on the process along with your fellow participants and the
facilitator. A suggestion is that you will have small tasks to be done
during the session or at home. The outputs will be discussed in the session
and will constitute the learning experience. Learning here largely depends
on how active the participants are. You will get as much out of the course
as you put into it. One or two facilitators will help you to develop a
creative environment and direct towards and prepare relevant material, for
learning techniques etc. to solve the problem you have chosen.

Pre requisites:

No formal qualifications are necessary. While facility to read and write
would help - it is not indispensable, if you could find other participants
who can help you. A keen interest to create your knowledge can more than
compensate for lack or deficient literacy.

Language:

You can use any language of your choice (English, Marathi, Hindi, Konkani)
and different languages of your comfort for speaking, reading and writing
(as is often the case). This may increase the time for discussion as some
translation may be required but it would also increase the different
perspectives and allow us to experience different and divergent perspective.
Reading material can be prepared by the facilitator in English only unless
there be funds for translation.

History: The course grew out of the sorry state of research projects at the
BA and MA level - where students find themselves unable to do empirical
research which average persons should be able to do. The fault is not of the
students but that of the structure in which they learn.

Number of Participants: maximum of 16participants at a session.

Number of Sessions: 12 to 16 sessions once a week of 3 hours each with a 2O
minute break in-between

Date and Time: At the convenience of the participants.

Costs

Course material 14 session @ 20 pages/ participant  4480/-
Additional Items to enhance the course if resources are available

A part time associate to prepare the course material and translate it @ Rs.
4000/mont x 4 months

16,000/-
An additional pat time assistant for 4 months to write a manual, log and a
report @ Rs. 4000/ month
16,000/-
Cost of material for participants to do their field work
Rs. 200 x 16
3,200/-
Xeroxing, Scanning, Printing, surfing
5000/-
Traveling
3600/-
Facilitators honorarium or fee (depending on  availability)
-------
Total
48,280/-

The additional items listed above are largely related with the first course
only. I do think that the experiment is given its best chance if no
compromises are made as far as costs are concerned. Yet we can go ahead even
if additional items listed above are available only in part or not at all.
* Send us a brief self-intro to justify your interest in this
"specialized" forum. This should be     sent to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  or to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
* Send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] (NOT [EMAIL PROTECTED])
* Leave SUBJECT blank
* On first line of the BODY of your message, type:
subscribe goa-research-net [EMAIL PROTECTED]
or
unsubscribe goa-research-net [EMAIL PROTECTED]