Addressing the issues I raised Prof. Teotonio starts by rightly making
explicit something that was only implicit in my previous message: that I
don't write as an expert but as someone with some experience and
knowledge of the issues at hand. I claim no more than what I can
deliver.

It is fortunate that Prof. Teotonio points to the difference between
colonization and colonialism. As he mentions colonialism is a XIX
century phenomenum. The problem is that it became fashionable, specially
in left-leaning or post-colonial discourses for the masses, to confound
the two concepts and to extend the idea of colonialism to the long
period of European colonisation. At the same time the concept of
colonialism is reserved only to Europeans as if it could not apply to
non-European peoples and countries.
If we follow Prof. Teotonio's conceptual distinctions we have to
conclude that the Portuguese presence in India was mainly a colonization
process without colonialist leanings (at least until Salazar's Acto
Colonial, an exercise in futility if there was one), a conclusion that
will certainly contribute to Prof. Teotonio's aim to look at these
issues in a less emotion-charged way, a desire I wholeheartedly share.
Likewise, it would make sense to look at recent phenomena of
non-European colonial expansion in terms of new colonialisms. It would
be useful both to allow us to understand better these phenomena and to
put European colonialism into a less emotion-charged perspective (the
moment non-Europeans realise that they can also be colonialists they
will feel compeled to be less emotional when looking at these issues).
All of this means that I fully agree with Prof. Teotonio when he points
to marked differences between the Indian colonization of South East Asia
and the western colonial domination since the XIX century. On the other
hand, the Portuguese presence in India pre-dates the latter phenomenum,
that's why its history has to be written through different lenses from
those applied to European colonialism. (Needless to say, Prof. Teotonio
and the historians that have been working on Portuguese expansion have
been dealing with these issues. But I am sure that there's still a lot
of work to be done.)
My contention is that the distinction between colonization and
colonialism should apply to all types of expansion. So we have European,
Indian, Chinese, Russian (maybe part of European?), Javanese, etc.
colonization. And we have also examples of colonialism for all those
polities in recent times. What is unacceptable is to write about
European colonialism like if Europeans had done nothing else and like if
no-one else was capable of it.

The question about non-european creoles is very interesting but I cannot
contribute to it... or can I? More on this latter.

On what concerns a Portuguese creole in Goa, I am sorry but even without
being an expert, and despite the fact that I only lived in Goa for a
little less than 4 years, I can confidently say that there is none. Of
course, there may be instances of creolisation of the Portuguese used
here. But those instances are not enough to lead us to consider that
there's a defined Goan portuguese creole unlike in Malaca, Damao or
Baticaloa.
The portuguese language spoken and writen around the world has plenty of
varieties. From the portuguese islands of Açores and Madeira to the many
variants existing in Brasil, to those in Angola or Mozambique it is hard
to conclude that portuguese has a widely accepted norm. But that does
not make the variants into creoles. (Of course, this is all an exercise
in attempting to define positions in a continum with normative
portuguese - if there is such thing - in an extreme and a well defined
creole at the other extreme.)
Let me recall a memory that may help in putting things into perspective:
Some three years ago I received in my office at Fontainhas one of our
countrymen that was on a visit to Goa. We had a long and interesting
conversation. He shared with me that he spoke Cap Verdian creole. He had
been to Macau, Malaca, Damao, Baticaloa. In all of this places when he
attempted to comunicate in portuguese with the local "portuguese" people
he was unable to communicate. But if he used Cap Verdian creole
understanding would come smoothly. There is nothing like this in Goa
(did I say that I've been subject to both Cap Verdian and Damanese
creoles?). People in Goa speak portuguese with a different accent, in
any case much closer to European portuguese than what is used in
Madeira. They employ a vocabulary with slight differences to what is
used in Portugal today (a good deal of these differences are due to
language changes in Portugal, not to changes in Goa). There are some
local particularities but these are just condiments, they are not the
"main dish".
Now, a lot of Goans that know portuguese avoid using that language with
the paclos like myself. Why? They provide two explanations: They don't
have practice (fair enough) or they don't know good portuguese. This
second point is the most interesting. It's hard to understand why they
insist in their poor skills when for a native portuguese they speak no
worst than many of his countrymen. My intuition tells me that this is
rooted in the colonial past. I have this idea that this is due to three
things: Until 61 some portuguese officials (and their wives, let's not
underestimate the importance of the female factor) would use accent to
reinforce their superiority on the natives; the teachers at the liceu
would penalize students for not using a good intonation; Goans of the
upper classes and those that had lived in Portugal would try to
differentiate themselves from the rest by their "better" portuguese. I
tend to think that language was used through these three ways for the
purpose of social differentiation and that the scars remained until
today. But that a creole makes not.

On what concerns Cunha Rivara... my dear Professor, one of the problems
with Goa is that local people and historians still relly too much on
things written in the XIX century. Nobody in Portugal would read
portuguese history through Herculano or Oliveira Martins. The same in
France on what concerns a Victor Hugo. These writers are still
considered very important... in literary studies, not in history.
Hellas, in Goa people still rever writings with 1,5 centuries. Rivara
wrote in a context where the concept of creole and creolization was
different from today, among other things because it was surrounded by
ideologies that we don't share anymore and because linguistic studies
evolved a lot. I don't say that Rivara is wrong (I can't since I didn't
read him) but I think he should be read with utmost care.

About the portuguese attempts to supress konkani, I had no access to the
thesis by our common good friend Delio but I have too many doubts about
what I read in other authors (Jose Pereira and Olivinho Gomes come to
mind). Besides, there's a difference between ostracism and deliberate
supression. Just take a look at Spain. For centuries the local languages
(galician, catalan, basque, etc.) were ostracised but it was only with
Franco that there were deliberate policies directed at erradicating
those languages in favour of Castillan.
But even the idea of ostracism is highly overrated. Through centuries
the church protected and used konkani to the point that the language was
used both in spoken and written form, almost an exception if we consider
what happened to the languages of the colonised peoples around the
world. This is even more outstanding when we take into consideration
that most education was imparted by the church, not by the civil
authorities. Is this suppression? Is this ostracism?
Yes, there were short-lived outbursts of anti-konkani policies. But
these were exceptions, they were not the norm. And yes, portuguese was
the language enforced for administration but this points at the most to
a policy of bilinguism, not to a policy of portuguese monolinguism.
I will not detail my serious doubts about all the arguments used in
favour of the famous policy of supression of konkani but I stand by what
I said: it is just another biased, mis-informed and outdated (the
canonisation of XIX century historiography syndrom) "truth" about the
portuguese presence in Goa.

Yet... what if there is a creole in Goa? I know not konkani but a lot of
Goan Christians and Hindus point to me how influenced and changed by
portuguese was the konkani spoken in the Old Conquests. What if we could
qualify the language spoken by the Christians as a creolised konkani?
Maybe when we think about a creole in Goa we should not look at a creole
of portuguese but instead at a creole of konkani. This is, of course,
only one more of my unfounded ideas since I don't know the language and
only work on earsay. Yet...

Sergio

* Send us a brief self-intro to justify your interest in this
"specialized" forum. This should be     sent to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  or to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
* Send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] (NOT [EMAIL PROTECTED])
* Leave SUBJECT blank
* On first line of the BODY of your message, type:
subscribe goa-research-net [EMAIL PROTECTED]
or
unsubscribe goa-research-net [EMAIL PROTECTED]