ON MEDIA RESPONSIBILITY

From a letter in the NT Nov 17, 2006

I strongly believe that most of our local news channels are giving a
biased coverage on the political situation in Goa. Maybe the reason
for this is that they are funded by the BJP supporters with the sole
aim of giving the party and their Sangh Parivar cronies some publicity
in Goa.

Today, if one keeps watching the daily coverage on the political
situation in Goa, then one can realise that only Mr Manohar Parrikar
is portrayed as the most sincere politician.

Forget giving publicity to the Congress, these channels don't even
bother to give much coerage for even the genuine politicians of other
political parties. Their main hero seems to be only Parrikar and whose
every word is shown like the Gospel truth which is a big joke for
sensible people like us.

I think that all these news channels should stop giving a biased
coverage, on the political situation on Goa, and instead become a
little more professional like the BBC, CNN and our very own NTDT if
they really want to establish themselves in today's highly competitive
world and win the confidence of Goans.

They should learn to make good use of their right to Freedom of Speech
and Expression and understand the real meaning of media
responsibility. They should realize that all politicians, irrespective
of their party affiliations, are birds of the same feather.

JERRY FERNANDES, Bardez