Attaboy, Tony!

  If the so-called 'working Journos' can really rally under the GUJ banner, it
would be a miracle. The GUJ Immediate Past President [President for
twoconsecutive terms at that!] is in limbo for an action that he took as a
journalist ....or should that be termed as a 'worker' since he was not covering
the event but was a part of it? Does any journo have anything to say on that
Nah! that is none of their concern.

  Arre Simon kaun hai. Half the journos will claim that they do not even know
him. The other half will want the Management of GT to fight for him. That is
like waiting for the Government to sponsor your son's birthday party. If
managements were so concerned about their staff, why would the journos have
trade unions and GUJ?

  They say that spinster's children and bachelor's wives are well behaved. Even
the journos would get an award before them for toeing the official line. why
should they offend the Goa Police when they report misinformation for the
Police as gospel truth without so much as cross-checking. Most of the
professional journos care a damn about public good. The public reciprocates in
equal measure. Report on the beating of a journo [that too not in the line of
work] makes a poor copy, indeed. Simon would have been better off if he was a
motorcycle pilot or taxi driver, bus conductor or one of the politician's
goons. They are more united than journos.

  Viva Goa.

  Miguel

Anthony M Barreto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  My Dear Agnelo
Perhaps you didn't read about Kundaim. With a little
pressure from the locals most of the panchas have
resigned. I am sure the two who did not must have
resigned by now.
People dishonouring the public office need to be shown
the way as did the kundaimkars.
Come on Agnelo, Goajournos could easily build pressure
to force the sarpanch to resign. Or is the Goa journo good enough only to
induce the govt for regular doles.
Think about it.
Tony Martin

--- agnelo p wrote:
> Hi,
> I being an executive member of GUJ prompted me to
> speak my mind. Soon after the Simon's incident, GUJ
> executive met and condemned the incident in no
> uncertain terms. A delegation of around 16
> journalists then met the DGP and requested him to
> arrest the culprits involved in the incident. We
> definitely were prompt in expressing our solidarity
> with our colleague. I am sure Simon was not hit,
> while he was discharging his duties as a journalist.
> Then things would have been a little different.
> My dear Tony, when the newspaper that Simon
> represents did not even feel fit to write a comment
> piece on the attack, what can u expect GUJ to do?
> Go on a dharna? Stone the panchayat office? Drag
> the Sarpanch out and give a taste of his medicine
> (expecting that we r a priviledged lot and police
> won't dare to touch us??) or go on a hunger strike
> like that panch in Sancoale??
> After all we journalists are at the mercy of the
> managements we r working for. You don't need Da
> Vinci's intelligence to guess that. However strong
> we may feel about something, I suppose we have our
> limitations.
>
> agnelo pereira.

Viva Goa.Say it with feni.
MIGUEL BRAGANZA,  Mhapsa