What we may be seeing here is a dichotomy between researchers that can afford
to read much of what they have to take in, simply because there isn't an
enormous 'overwhelm' of papers in their field, and those who cannot possibly
read everything they ought to take in, because they are constantly confronted
with precisely such an 'overwhelm' of papers. The latter need to have
alternative ways of getting the gist of the information that's being published
in their field, even if simply to judge which fraction of the published
literature they actually do need to read with their own eyes. Machine-aided
techniques, such as text-mining and text-analysis, which can 'ingest' and
analyse many more articles than a single human can, are essential in such
fields, and only getting more important.

Open Access should not be reserved just for the former class of researchers,
the ones who are in a position to read all the literature in their fields with
their own eyes.

Jan