Jan Velterop wrote:
> there is scant reason to overcome those [technical difficulties] for
> so-called OA articles if text-mining is not allowed.

This has to be one of the most ridiculous statements I've seen anyone make on
this list. The vast majority of scholars and scientists want and need to read
articles. Text mining of the corpus is an interesting and potentially useful
new tool but the main tool for academics and other readers of the journal
literature is their own eyes and minds. Look at the term "open access". What
is the principle noun here? Access. Nothing else, just access. Without access
nothing else can follow. Indeed this access, by humans quickly and simply for
their own reading and understanding, is what is needed by all and all this is
needed by most. Let us first grasp that, rather than trying to solve all the
problems at once.

--
Professor Andrew A Adams                      a...@meiji.ac.jp
Professor at Graduate School of Business Administration,  and