In the BOAI, the content to which OA should apply is described as follows:
"The literature that should be freely accessible online is that which scholars
give to the world without expectation of payment. Primarily, this category
encompasses their peer-reviewed journal articles, but it also includes any
unreviewed preprints that they might wish to put online for comment or to alert
colleagues to important research findings."

This is a handy page to keep at hand and to refer to:
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/boaifaq.htm (unfortunately, the BOAI site
itself, http://www.soros.org/openaccess, is often exceedingly slow and
therefore difficult to consult if you don't have a lot of time).

Jan