Hi Alicia

We are happy to work with publishers - we do so all the time - and pursue
sustainable models for scholarly communications.  But let's be clear - the
publishing industry is a service industry.  Vastly important, but a service
industry nevertheless.  It is perfectly reasonable for funders of research to
determine how they want the outputs of the research they fund to be
disseminated.

And let's also remember - while publicly the talk is of collaboration,
privately one 'leading publishing group' has been engaged in briefing the Daily
Mail with the most egregious rubbish about open access.  I realise that you
only speak for Elsevier, but you must see that it is very difficult to have an
honest collaboration when one party is busy trying to undermine the process in
this way.

David